Donna Van Loon was named the 2017 Volunteer of the Year by the General Office chapter of Mississippi Power’s Community Connection.
JOB: Regulatory Research & Analysis Manager.
3 WORDS THAT DESCRIBE DONNA: Passionate, dedicated and energetic.
WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT DONNA
“Donna has a great passion for working with children,” said Community Development Representative Frank Magee, who serves as vice president of the General Office chapter of Community Connection. “She has a very demanding job and still takes from her personal time to assist high school students.”
- Donna has been on the board for Team Fusion 364 robotics team for six years and now serves as the board secretary.
- She assists with fundraising efforts, and prepares and files tax reports for the team.
- During the team’s six-week build season, she generally spends three evenings and Saturday’s working with the team and assists with dinner for the team and the team’s mentors.
- Donna also chaperones the team when they travel for regionals and at the regional event.
- She also spends time at Lowe’s, Home Depot and Cornett Bolt & Screw picking up parts for the robot during the build process.
- Donna also supported the team with their off-season competition with volunteer coordination, assembly and disassembly of the competition field and working the event.
- She also works with CISV, Children’s International Summer Village, a global community of volunteers, creating opportunities for children of all ages to experience the excitement and enrichment of cultural diversity through educational programs.
Mississippi Power, a subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), produces safe, reliable and environmentally responsible energy for nearly 187,000 customers in 23 southeast Mississippi counties. Mississippi Power ranked first in the Southeastern Electric Exchange’s 2016 Safety Performance Reports and is consistently recognized as an industry leader in reliability, customer service and safety. Visit our websites at www.mississippipower.com and www.mississippipowernews.com, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and YouTube.