As the holiday season continues, Mississippi Power offers these 10 ways to help save energy and keep your bill as low as possible, while also helping protect the environment.
- Save energy in the kitchen. When you’re cooking those holiday meals, take simple actions in the kitchen – like using the right sized pots on the stove burners – to save energy.
- Install a light timer. When decking your house in holiday lights, use timer controls to lower energy consumption and save money. Timer controls allow you to turn lights on and off at specific times, while staying in the holiday spirit.
- Plug decorations into power strips. Even when you aren’t using lights and electronics, they still draw small amounts of energy when plugged in. Use a power strip that allows you to turn the power off easily.
- Use LED lights. Light up your home this holiday season with LED lights. LED lights are sturdier and consume 70 percent less energy than conventional incandescent light strands.
- Use energy-efficiency halogen floodlights outside your home. Halogen floodlights in different holiday colors are a good way to add a festive look outside of your home and use less energy.
- Buy ENERGY STAR® electronics. When shopping for holiday gifts, be sure to ask for ENERGY STAR home electronics for instant energy savings.
- Take advantage of sunlight. This winter, open curtains during the day to allow sunlight to naturally warm your home and close them at night to reduce the chill from cold windows.
- Prepare your windows for winter. Before you curl up on the couch in front of the window this holiday season, weatherize your windows to reduce drafts.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Lowering your thermostat 10-15 degrees for eight hours can save 5-15 percent a year on heating bills. Travelling for the holidays? Be sure to program your thermostat for energy savings.
- Set your thermostat to 68°. For every degree you lower your thermostat for more than eight hours at a time, you can save up to 1 percent on your power bill.
To learn more Ways to Save energy around your home, please click here.
Mississippi Power, a subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), produces safe, reliable and environmentally responsible energy for more than 186,000 customers in 23 southeast Mississippi counties. Mississippi Power earned the 2015 ReliabilityOneTM Award for outstanding midsize utility for excellence in storm restoration and recovery efforts as well as being a leader in reliability, customer service and safety. Visit our websites at mississippipower.com and mississippipowernews.com, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+ and YouTube.